Trick or Treat events scheduled
Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 1:46pm
As Halloween approaches, children will be walking and riding in cars on the hunt for candy and some scary fun. Everyone is asked to be careful while out.
Dr. Benjamin D. Hoffman is a spokesman for the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). He advises parents to check anything your child receives.
Ration the candy so there’s no unhealthy binge eating.
Dr. Hoffman said a bigger danger to your children is their costumes and cars that will be out on the street. Make sure your child can see well while in costume. Check their masks, hats and eye patches for any trouble seeing.
Other safety tips are:
• Check product labels to be certain the costumes are flame retardant.
• Use reflective materials on costumes so your child is easily seen.
• If your child is out after dark, give him a working flashlight.
• Younger children should walk with a chaperone.
• If a costume includes a sword, cane or stick, make sure it is not sharp or long to prevent injuries to the child and others.
• Do not use decorative contact lenses without an eye examination and a prescription from an eye care professional.
• Review with your child how to call 911 or what to do if the child becomes lost or has another emergency.
In Glascock County, the recreation department is holding a Trunk or Treat Sunday, Oct. 29, from 5 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Brassell Park in Gibson. Set up is at 4:30 p.m. The movie, “Disney’s Maleficent,” will be shown at dark. It has a PG rating. Bring chairs and blankets. For more information, call 706-699-4397.
Mitchell will have its annual Trick or Treat Night at 6 p.m. on Halloween, Tuesday, Oct. 31, in the downtown area on Main Street in Mitchell.
In Jefferson County, the sheriff’s office will be handing out candy on Halloween night from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Jefferson County Law Enforcement Center.
The Wadley Police Department will be at Carver Elementary School on Halloween for a Trunk or Treat. There will be bounce houses, rides, candy and hot dogs and hamburgers. Set up is at 3 p.m. Trunk or Treat is from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Candy, door prizes and monetary donations can be taken to the Wadley Police Department.